The Importance of the Bible in Church
By Pastor Shane Montgomery
Casa Grande Baptist Church
It almost seems silly to write an article like this, but in today’s “entertainment” church climate, a reminder never hurts.
God designed the local church as a place for His people to grow in their faith. Assembling regularly was God’s idea, “Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together”, Hebrews 10:25. God knew that gathering together was an important part of the Christian life. According to the Scriptures, we assemble for many reasons:
1) to corporately give to and worship the Lord; Acts 2:47; I Corinthians 16:2; Hebrews 2:12;
2) to corporately pray; Acts 12:12;
3) for sending and hearing the reports from missionaries, Acts 13; Acts 14:27;
4) to serve the Lord together, I Corinthians 15:58; Ephesians 4:12;
5) for fellowship, exhortation, the edification of one another, and to care for one another, Psalms 55:14; I Corinthians 12:25; Colossians 3:16; I Thessalonians 5:11.
There is one other reason we are commanded to assemble – this is how we are equipped to serve the Lord and grow in our Christian lives. God designated the local church as the place where His Word is taught and preached. Jesus commanded His disciples to teach other believers “all things whatsoever I have commanded you” in Matthew 28:20. The pastors of the local churches are commanded to “feed the flock of God” in I Peter 5:2; and they are commanded to “preach the Word” in II Timothy 4:2. The Word of God is where we learn about God and how to live for God. God intended for His Word to be preached and taught in the local church so His people could be refined and “perfected”. The Bible says that “faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God” in Romans 10:17.
Unfortunately, the importance of the Word of God in church has been overlooked in many circles. The expository preaching and teaching of God’s powerful Word has been replaced by entertainment, opinions, and showmanship. God’s people need God’s Word! This is how they will grow! This is how they will be properly prepared for the trials of life! This is how they will be equipped to “fight the good fight of faith”, I Timothy 6:12!