The Names of Jesus
There are over 170 names of Jesus, we will look at 86 (mostly ones capitalized)
- many types in OT, not going to look at those, only names
Purpose of this series:
- Heb 12:3, so we will "consider Him".
- I Pet 2:7, to make Him more "precious" to us.
Scriptural Order (When introduced as Jesus’ name):
1) Shiloh, Gen 49:10 (means "Peace bringer")
- only occurrence of this Hebrew word in the Bible
- unto Him shall the gathering of the people be
- Is 2:2; Mic 4:1, during the Kingdom, all shall flow to Jerusalem
2) Star Out of Jacob, Num 24:17
- He is light
- II Pe 1:19, the day star (light bringer)
- Mt 1:2, He had to be a descendent of Jacob
- Rev 22:16, Bright and Morning Star
3) Sceptre, Num 24:17 (the King is coming)
- Gen 49:10, the sceptre shall not depart from Judah
- Is 9:7, His government described
- He 1:8, His throne is forever and His sceptre is righteous
4) Prophet, Deu 18:15-19
- Lu 4:24; 7:16; Jn 6:14; 7:40; Ac 3:20-26, Jesus was the fulfilment
- Heb 1:1-2, God spake unto us by His Son
- the gospels are God's words
- Matt 24 an example of His prophecies
5) Redeemer, Job 19:25-26; Is 59:20; Gal 3:13; Rev 5:9
- one of God's offices, Is 48:17
- redeem means to purchase back from the slave market by paying a price
- Eph 1:7, redemption is through His blood; I Pe 1:18-19
(Heb 9:12, eternal redemption)
- Tit 2:14, he redeems us from all iniquity
- we should be thankful for our redemption
6) Son of God, Ps 2:7, 12; Mt 16:16; Mark 1:1; Lu 1:35; Jn 6:69; 9:35-38 (47 in NT)
- Lu 1:32, Son of the Highest
- Mk 14:61, Son of the Blessed
- Jn 5:18; 10:30-36, it makes Him equal with God
- believing it part of salvation, Jn 20:31; Ac 8:37; I Jn 4:15; 5:13
- having the Son is life, I Jn 5:12
- Mt 8:29; Mark 3:11; 5:7; Lu 4:41; 8:28, the devils recognized Him
- Dan 3:25, He was in the fiery furnace with the Hebrew children
- Ro 1:4, the resurrection declares His power
- Jn 5:25, His voice shall raise the dead
7) Holy One Ps 16:10; Act 3:14
Is 43:3, 15, Jehovah's name
- 44 times in OT as Jehovah's name, emphasises His holiness
- His holiness His #1 attribute
- Rev 15:4, only Jehovah is Holy, (fear Him)
Act 2:27, 31, fulfilled Ps 16:10, He wouldn't see corruption
Mk 1:24, unclean spirits knew who He was
I Pet 1:15-16, therefore we should be holy
- Rom 8:29 conform to His image
- do we live a holy life, public and private? (lift up holy hands in prayer)
8) King Ps 24:7-10; Zec 9:9
Mt 2:2; 21:5, (fulfilment of Zec 9:9): King of the Jews
Jn 1:49; King of Israel
Jn 12:12-15, why He came
Lu 1:32-33, no end to His Kingdom (everlasting) ; Kingdom of David (Davidic Covenant)
Kingdom was "at hand" when He came the first time, Mt 3:2; 4:17; 10:5-7
The Jews rejected Him, Jn 19:12-15
The offer was taken back, Mt 23:37-39
The Kingdom won't come now until the King comes, II Ti 4:1
Rev 17:14; 19:16, King of Kings
- is He King of your life?
9) High Priest Ps 110:4; Heb 3:1
Heb 2:17-18, human so could understand our temptations
therefore He can help (sympathise with) when tempted
Heb 4:14-16, in heaven
was tempted in all points, yet without sin
therefore we can come boldly to the throne
Heb 7:21-27, priest for ever after order of Melchisedec
- see 7:1-4, king priest; no beginning or end; king of Salem (Jerusalem)
continueth ever, unchangeable priesthood because the priest never dies
we can come to God by Him, He ever intercedes for us (see Jn 17:20 where He prayed for us)
He's holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, higher than the heavens
He offered Himself ONCE (His own blood - see Heb 9:11-14), to obtain redemption for us
- Are you daily coming to your High Priest for forgiveness and fellowship with God?
10) Stone, Ps 118:22; I Pe 2:6-8 (Is 28:16)
- Chief corner stone
- headstone of the corner, Mat 21:42, 44 (Ps 118:22)
- Eph 2:20, the foundation stone of the church
- stone of stumbling (Is 8:14), for the Jews, Rom 9:32-33
- Dan 2:34, 45, the smiting stone cut out without hands (the kingdom)
- I Cor 3:11, He must be the foundation stone
- are your works for His sake?
11) Rose of Sharon, Song 2:1
- leafless meadow flower in Sharon, a region in northern Galilee
- Is 35:1-2, the rose in the desert, as Christ gives new life, II Cor 5:17
- rose given as an example of the prefect blossom
- the rose is still the favourite flower
12) Lily of the Valleys Song 2:1
A Palestinian red field flower, He is a flower in this world of sin
Mt 6:28-29, Christ used as an example of the beauty of creation
He is the Lily in our valleys, Ps 23:4, lean on Him!
13) Emmanuel Mt 1:23, fulfilment of Is 7:14
- "God with us" The God-Man
Virgin Birth, Mt 1:18-25; Lu 1:26-35
God in the flesh, Act 20:28; Jn 1:1,14; I Tim 3:16
- are you thankful that God loved us enough to become a man?
14) Wonderful, Is 9:6
- Eph 3:19, His love is wonderful (passeth knowledge)
- Ps 107:8, He does wonderful works
- Ps 119:129, His testimonies are wonderful
- All He did and was makes Him a Wonderful Saviour
- He was wonderful in His virgin birth, sinless life, substitutionary death, unparalleled resurrection, supernatural ascension, loving intercession
- is He Wonderful to you?
15) Counsellor Is 9:6
Is 11:1-2, He has the Spirit of counsel
Lu 21:12-15, He'll give the words to say
Lu 24:45, He guides in the Word
Rev 3:18, He counsels us to buy His gold (true wisdom)
I Cor 1:30, He is wisdom
Jas 1:5, ask and He will give wisdom
I Cor 2:14, only guides the saved
Is He guiding your decisions? Do you consult your counsellor?
16) Mighty God, Is 9:6
- Ps 50:1, another name for Jehovah, Jer 32:18
- Tit 2:13, the Great God and our Saviour
17) Everlasting Father Is 9:6
- leaves no doubt about the Deity of Christ
- Is 64:8, Jehovah (LORD) is our Father
Jn 10:30, Jesus said, "I and my Father are one"
Mt 9:22, He referred to woman as "daughter"
Jn 14:9, "He that hath seen Christ hath seen the Father"
Mic 5:2, Jesus has always been, "from everlasting"
- do you love Him as a Father?
18) Prince of Peace, Is 9:6
- Is 11:1-9, He will bring peace to the earth with His kingdom
- He gives Christians peace now, Jn 14:27; 16:33
- with God, Rom 5:1; Eph 2:14-15; Col 1:20
19) Branch, Is 11:1 (Messiah) from Jesse, He will bring in the kingdom
Zech 3:8 (God's servant)
Zech 6:12, the man (temple, kingdom)
Jer 23:5-6, righteous branch of David, JEHOVAH OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS
- Jer 33:15, branch of righteousness
All 4 ways Christ presented in gospels revealed as branch:
Matthew - Messiah, King of the Jews: to Jews (sovereign)
Mark - God's servant: to Romans (servant)
Luke - a man, the son of man: to Greeks (son of man)
John - God in the flesh, Jehovah, the I AM: to church (son of God)
Is He Your Messiah (King)? Does He Rule Your Life?
20) Jehovah, Is 40:3 with Mt 3:3
Jer 23:5-6, the Branch of David (I Cor 1:30, our righteousness)
Is 26:4, defines Hebrew word for LORD
- we've already seen that He is Jehovah from His other names: Almighty, Alpha and Omega, Emmanuel, Everlasting Father, First and Last, God, I AM
21) Ancient of Days Dan 7:9 (to be respected, venerated)
- garment white as snow, Matt 28:1-3
- hair like wool, Rev 1:14
Ps 90:2, Jehovah is everlasting
Mic 5:2, Jesus is everlasting, also Jn 1:1-3
Jesus to be worshipped, Php 2:10
- even by angels, Heb 1:6
Do you worship Him?
22) Messiah. (the anointed One)
- Dan 9:25, the time of His arrival was prophesied
- Jn 1:41, the Christ, the One the Jews had waited for
- the coming Prophet (Deu 18:15-19), Priest (Ps 110:4), and King (II Sam 7:12-13)
- the Jews still wait for the Messiah to come and He did
- He claimed to be the Messias (Greek form of Messiah), Jn 4:25-26
23) Judge, Ac 10:42, Judge of quick and dead
Mic 5:1, they shall smite the judge of Israel on the cheek
II Ti 4:1, He shall judge quick and dead at His appearing and
His kingdom - described in Mt 25:31
II Cor 5:10, judgment seat of Christ (after Rapture)
- are you ready for the judgment seat?
24) Desire of All Nations Hag 2:7
Shake all nations - tribulation
Then the desire of all nations comes, Mt 24:29-30
Is 2:1-4, kingdom established at Jerusalem
Zech 14:1- , Christ brings the kingdom after a battle
- He's coming again!!
- Is your desire to be with Him?
25) Sun of Righteousness, Mal 4:2
- Gen 1:16, the greater light, the sun, is a type of Christ, the Light of the World
- Rev 1:16, His countenance is as the sun
- statement of His Deity, Jehovah likened to the sun, Ps 84:11
- Is 9:2, those that walked in darkness have seen a great light!
- Is 60:19-20, God, the Lamb, will become the light in eternity (Rev 21:23)
- Ac 26:18, He turned us from darkness to light
- we are in the night of sin until the light comes
- Php 2:15, we are to reflect that light into this dark world, do we?
26) Jesus, Mt 1:1, 16, 21; Lu 1:31; 2:21, names by Gabriel (means "Saviour")
972 time in NT (Lord - 667; Christ - 569)
612 vs. - Jesus (alone)
92 vs. - Jesus Christ
81 vs. - Lord Jesus Christ
58 vs. - Christ Jesus
34 vs. - Lord Jesus
16 vs. - Jesus of Nazareth
9 vs. - Jesus Christ our Lord
2 vs. - Jesus Christ our Saviour
Ac 4:10-12, salvation in no other name
I Ti 1:15, Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners
Rom 10:9, confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus
Act 9:29, Paul preached boldly in His name, do we?
Ac 15:26, Christians hazarded their lives for His name
- Ac 21:13, Paul ready to die for His name
Col 3:17, do all in His name
Php 2:10, all shall bow at that name!! do we now?
song: "Jesus is the Sweetest Name I Know"
27) Christ Mt 1:1, 16-17 Name in NT 569 times
"Christ Jesus" 58 times
"Christ Jesus our Lord" 5 times
- anointed, Heb 1:9, quoting Ps 2:2
- Messiah, Jn 1:41, the Christ
Mt 16:16,20, thou art the Christ; Jesus the Christ
Mt 23:10, Christ is our master?
Jn 20:31, bible written so believe Jesus is the Christ
Act 9:22, Paul proved He is the very "Christ"
Mt 24:23-24, other christs prophesied (ie. Koresh;"alter Christus")
"Christian", Ac 11:26; 26:28
- are we persuading others to become Christians?
- know the name or living the name?
28) Son of David, Mat 1:1; 21:9
- Mark 12:35, He had to be to be the Christ (Messiah)
- the Davidic Covenant: II Sam 7:14-16; Is 9:7
- Lu 1:31-32, the throne of David
- Ac 2:29-31, the promise fulfilled in Christ
29) Son of Abraham, Mt 1:1
- Ge 22:18, in Abraham's seed all to be blessed
- He 2:16, Jesus took upon Himself the seed of Abraham
- Gal 3:16, the promises through Christ are to us
30) Governor Mt 2:6, rule Israel
Is 9:6-7, govt on His shoulder that will not end
Jer 23:5, shall reign and prosper
Luk 1:32, He gets David's throne
Rev 11:15, He shall reign for ever and ever
Rev 19:11-15, He shall rule with a rod of iron
31) Son of Man, Mt 8:20; Ac 7:56, standing on God's right hand (name used 87 times in NT)
- He was the son of mankind, for He not only had Jews in his lineage
- Rahab the harlot (Mat 1:5), Ruth the Moabite (Mat 1:5), Bathsheba (Mt 1:6)
- Jn 3:14, His mission, to die for us
- the perfect man
- Heb 4:15, was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin
- Mt 20:18-19, a man that could conquer death, the God-man (Is 9:6)
- Mt 13:41, the angels belong to Him
32) Bridegroom Mt 9:15
II Cor 11:2, we're espoused (engaged) to Christ
Eph 5:23-32, Christ and His church (man and his wife)
- men: love your wives "as Christ loved the church"
- He loved us enough to give Himself
- women: be subject to husbands as church subject to Christ
- are we subject unto Him?
Are you ready for the wedding?
- Mt 22:2-14; Rev 19:7-9, do you have a garment (robe of salvation)?
- Mt 25:1-13, are you waiting for His return, lamps trimmed?
Are you inviting others to the wedding? Rev 22:17
33) Master, Mt 23:9-10, one is your Master (as in a great teacher)
Mt 8:19 and Mt 19:16 (good Master)
Mk 14:14, He sent the disciples with the authority of this name
Lu 5:5; 7:40; 8:24, how the disciples often addressed Him
Jn 13:13-14, as master, He gave us an example of servanthood
Jn 6:68, thou hast the words of eternal life!
- are you seeking the truth through Him?
34) Dayspring Lk 1:78-79 (rising of the sun)
His coming will be like light driving away darkness
New Beginning, He makes all things new, Rev 21:5
- II Cor 5:17; Heb 12:24 "new covenant"
- are all things new?
Mal 4:2, "sun of righteousness", later
Jn 8:12, "light of the world", later
35) Saviour, Lu 2:11; Tit 1:3-4; 2:13; 3:4-6; II Pe 1:1
- Jehovah the only Saviour, Is 43:11, Jude 25
- the Saviour of the world, I Jn 4:14
- that's why He came, Lu 19:10; Jn 3:17; I Ti 1:15
36) Word, Jn 1:1, 14
- the Word always "was", He has always been
- I Jn 5:7, the Word is part of the Trinity
- Rev 19:11-13, when He comes back, His name will be the Word of God
- Heb 4:12-13, the Word and Him, the Word has to be perfect, for Jesus is
- are you in "the Word"?
37) Creator Jn 1:1-3, 10 became a man (ant colony ill.)
Jehovah, Is 37:16; 40:28
Col 1:16-18, He holds it all together
The creator sets the rules (the Bible)
- are you following "His" rules?
When worshipping, worship Him as creator?
God is the creator of the universe, and all that is therein: Genesis 1:1, "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." Revelation 4:11, "Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power; for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created." (Also see Neh 9:6; Job 9:8; Prov 26:10; Is 37:16; Is 40:28; 44:24; Heb 3:3-4)
38) Light Jn 1:4-9; 8:12
I Jn 1:5, God's name
Lu 2:28-32, prophecied at His birth that He would light the Gentiles
Jn 3:19-21, light came into the world (Jesus Christ), men resist because of their deeds
Eph 5:8-14, we are children of light, we were in darkness; Christ gives light
- do we walk as children of light, different from darkness? II Cor 6:14
- Php 2:15, now we are to shine as lights in the world, do we?
Rev 21:23, He will be the light in heaven
39) Lamb of God, Jn 1:29, 36
Gen 22:7-8, "God will provide Himself a Lamb"
Ex 12:3-13, passover lamb, picture of Christ
I Pe 1:19, lamb without spot or blemish
The Lamb in the Book of Revelation:
Rev 5:6-13, a Lamb slain; "worthy is the Lamb"
Rev 6:16, the wrath of the Lamb will come
Rev 7:14-17, robes white in the blood of the Lamb, He shall lead us
Rev 13:8, the book of life of the Lamb, are you in it? (see also Rev 21:27)
Rev 15:3, we'll sing His song!
Rev 17:14, He shall defeat the beast and his followers
Rev 19:7-9, the marriage supper of the Lamb
Rev 21:23, He is the light in heaven
40) Only Begotten Son, Jn 3:16 (Jn 1:14, 18; 3:18)
- this is a unique Greek word not implying a beginning of His Sonship
- Heb 11:17, denotes uniqueness
- I Jn 4:9, Jesus was the Only Begotten Son before He came into the world
- see Jn 17:5; Heb 1:2
- will cover more under "Son of God"
41) Bread of Life Jn 6:32-63
Receiving Him necessary for eternal life (I Jn 5:11-12), just as receiving bread necessary for physical life.
Also as the Word (Jn 1:1)
- Job 23:12, esteem more than necessary food
- Ps 119:103, sweeter than honey, is it?
- Jer 15:16, joy and rejoicing of heart, is it?
- I Pet 2:2, milk of the Word, desire it?
- Heb 5:12, milk/meat of the word, eating it?
Are you sustained by Him, Php 4:13 (He "strengthens")
42) I AM Jn 8:58-59, the Jews knew what He said
Ex 3:14, Jehovah's name
Jn 18:5-8, soldiers fell back when He said "I am he"
Jn 8:24, must believe He is God or will go to hell
Bread of Life, Jn 6:35-51, feasting on Him?
Light of the World, Jn 8:12, spreading the light?
Master and Lord, Jn 13:13, obeying Him?
True Vine, Jn 15:1-5, abiding in Him?
Way/Door, Jn 14:6 and Jn 10:7-9, saved?
43) Door Jn 10:7-9
He's not "a" door, He is "the" door.
He's not just the shepherd, but the door to the sheepfold.
1-to heaven, Jn 14:6
2-to holiest place, Eph 2:18; Heb 10:19-20
- Are you entering the holiest through Him daily?
44) Good Shepherd, Jn 10:11
(Also see Heb 13:20; I Pet 2:25; 5:4)
God is the Shepherd: Psalms 80:1, "Give ear, O Shepherd of Israel, thou that leadest Joseph like a flock; thou that dwellest between the cherubims, shine forth." (Also see Ps 23:1-3; Is 40:11)
45) Resurrection, Jn 11:25
- Jn 6:39-40, Christ will raise all believers at the last day
- Jn 5:28-29, the great resurrection (Dan 12:2, always the body)
- 2 stages, Rev 20:4-6, 13
- Php 3:20-21, we get a new body then
46) Way, Jn 14:6
- He's not one of many ways but "the" way to the Father
- Is 35:8, the way of holiness, the unclean cannot pass over it
- into the holiest, He 9:8
- Ac 4:12, there is not salvation in any other name
- Eph 2:18, through Him we have access to the Father
- He is the door, Jn 10:9
- have you accepted the only "way" to heaven?
47) Truth, Jn 14:6; I Jn 5:20
- Ps 31:5, Jehovah's attribute
- He doesn't only reveal truth, He "is" truth
- there is no truth outside of Jesus Christ
- it is revealed in the Word of God, II Ti 2:15
- Rev 19:11, His name when He returns
- Jn 18:37, those of the truth hear His voice
48) Life Jn 14:6; 1:4; 11:25
Col 3:3-4, Christ is our life - we exist through Him (Php 4:13)
- see Gal 2:20
I Jn 1:2, eternal life; 5:11-12, 20; Rom 6:23
- when we receive Him, we receive eternal LIFE, for He is life
- He has the power to give us eternal life, Jn 10:28
- salvation is in a person!
Life (God's name: Deu 30:20)
49) Vine, Jn 15:1-8 (expository - more, much fruit)
- are you connected into the Vine and bearing fruit?
- the fruit of a Christian is other Christians
- this is not the fruit of the Spirit
50) Prince, Ac 5:31
- Prince of Life, Act 3:15
- He gives life, Jn 10:28; He is life, Jn 14:6; I Jn 5:11
- Prince of the Kings of the earth, Rev 1:5
- He will again rule all kingdoms, Rev 11:15
51) Just One Act 7:52; 22:14
Zec 9:9, the King of Israel is just when He returns
I Pe 3:18, the Just died for the unjust
Rom 3:24-26, we're made just through Him at salvation
- are you just?
52) Lord (should‘ve been #31)
Mt 7:21; Ac 10:36, "Lord of all" (Lord used 672 times in NT)
I Cor 2:8, Lord of glory
Rev 17:14; 19:11-16, Lord of Lords
Eph 4:4-5, there is only "one" Lord
- Mt 22:43-45, Jesus is that "one" Lord
Php 2:11, all shall confess that He is Lord
- but not all will enter heaven because they say Lord, Mt 7:21-23
The Bible says that only God's name is LORD: Isaiah 45:18, "For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else."
God's name is also Lord, besides LORD: James 5:11, "Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy."
Also see Jn 20:25, 28
Matthew 12:8, "For the Son of man is Lord even of the Sabbath day."
Lu 6:46, the title assumes obedience from the one using it
- we use the title but do we obey our Lord?
Is he Lord of your life? Ac 16:31; Rom 10:13, etc.
53) Deliverer Rom 11:26
Ps 18:2, Jehovah's name
Lu 4:18, He preached deliverance to the captives
Jn 8:36, He makes us free
I Th 1:10, He delivered us from the wrath to come
Col 1:13, He delivers us from the power of darkness
- are you walking in victory?
54) Passover, I Cor 5:7
- Ex 12:3, a lamb; Jesus Christ was a Lamb, Jn 1:29; Rev 5:6-13
- Ex 12:5, no blemish; Jesus was without blemish, I Pe 1:19
- Ex 12:46, no broken bones, Jesus fulfilled this, Jn 19:33-36
55) Rock, I Cor 10:1-4, 9
- Ex 17:6, Moses smote the rock and water came out
- Jesus was smitten and life flows from Him, Is 53:5, Jn 7:37-39
- Jehovah's name, Deu 32:4, 15, 18, 31
- Mt 16:18, the Rock (Petra) upon which the church is built (Peter - petros)
- Rom 9:33, Rock of offense to Israel
- I Cor 3:11, Mat 7:24-25, the Rock of our salvation
56) Second Adam, I Co 15:45-49
- earthy, Gen 3:19
- Jn 3:3-6, that is why we need a "spiritual" birth, to be delivered from natural
- I Co 2:14, "natural man"
- Ro 5:15, 18, death came by one man, and so did the gift by grace
- He 2:14-18, He became a man that He might be our substitute
- Ro 6:6; Eph 4:22-24, the old man is crucified and we have a new man
- Php 3:20-21, we get a new body
57) Husband, II Co 11:2
God is the husband of His creation: Isaiah 54:5, "For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called." (Also see Is 62:5)
Jesus Christ is the husband of His creation, the bride of Christ: Revelation 21:9, "And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife." (Also see Eph 5:25-32)
58) Beloved Eph 1:6 (worthy of love)
Mt 3:17, God's beloved Son (at baptism)
Mt 17:5, God's beloved Son (at transfiguration)
Song of Solomon (love between Christ and His bride) - 33 times
I Jn 4:19, He first loved us
Is He beloved of you?
- keep His commandments, Jn 14:15,21,24
- serve Him, Jn 21:15-17
- tell others, II Cor 5:14
59) Our Peace, (Eph. 2:14)
- He gives Christians peace now, Jn 14:27; 16:33
- with God, Rom 5:1; Col 1:20
60) Chief Corner Stone Ep 2:19-22; I Pet 2:6-8
Jehovah's title, Is 8:13-14
- must believe on Him (see Act 4:11-12, salvation only in Him)
- stone of stumbling/rock of offence to unbelievers (see Rom 9:32-33)
Is 28:16, sure foundation, tried stone, precious stone
- foundation of our salvation, I Cor 3:11-15
- build your life on the rock?, Lu 6:47-49
- household of God on that stone, Eph 2:19-22
Mt 21:42-44, fall on the stone and be broken
61) Head of the Church Ep 4:14-16, Col 2:16-19, the body is of Christ, He is the Head
Eph 5:23-32, It is pictured in the marriage relationship, why marriage is so important.
"the church" with no spot or wrinkle must be all saved people, can't be referring to a local church.
Col 1:18, 24, the head of the body, the church
- why Paul suffered
Act 20:28, He bought all saved people with His blood
Heb 12:23, church of the firstborn (church age saved)
- Is He running your life?
62) Mediator, I Ti 2:5, One Mediator
not a man's organization (ie. Watchtower, etc.), or a man (ie. Catholic priest)
- you can only come to the Father through Him, Jn 14:6
He was qualified for He was "God" and "man"; He could reconcile the two
- He is our advocate (defense counsel), I Jn 2:1
Heb 9:15, of the New Testament
- Heb 8:6, a "better" covenant
Eph 2:12-18, He broke down the wall of the law through His blood
63) Man, I Ti 2:5, "the man Christ Jesus"
Php 2:6-8, "was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself,
and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross."
Jn 1:14, "the Word became flesh"
Heb 10:12, This Man was our substitute sacrifice
Heb 2:14-18, he was made like His brethren so He could be more compassionate
Jn 11:35, Jesus wept
Mt 4:2, He was hungry
Jn 4:6, wearied with His journey
Jn 19:28, He thirsted
Is 53:3, man of sorrows
Heb 4:15, was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin
Heb 4:16, come boldly to the throne of grace therefore are you?
64) God Tit 2:13 Great God and Saviour, Jesus Christ
Only One God: Is 43:10 (JW theme vs.); I Ti 2:5
Mt 1:23, "God with us"
Jn 20:28, "my Lord and my God"
Act 20:28, God's blood
Rom 9:5, "God blessed for ever"
I Ti 3:16, "God was manifest in the flesh"
Heb 1:8, "unto the Son", "thy throne O God"
I Jn 5:20, "this is the true God"
65) Captain of Our Salvation Heb 2:10
He IS our salvation, He lead the way, took the lead in providing a way for us to get to heaven.
66) Apostle Heb 3:1 (messenger; one sent forth with orders)
Jn 17:18; 20:21, Father sent Him to preach the truth to us
Is 61:1-2 (Luk 4:17-18), sent to preach
Are you listening to His message?
- He taught so many things, Jn 7:46, "Never man spake like this man"
- how to live; how to pray; faith; contentment
67) Author and Finisher Heb 12:2
Heb 5:9, "author" of eternal salvation John 3:16
(Re 1:5, washed us from our sins in His own blood)
Salvation (Born of Him) I Jn 2:29
- it's "in Him", II Cor 5:17, new creature
II Cor 5:21, righteousness
Eph 1:6, accepted
Rom 8:37, conquerer through Him
I Jn 5:11-12, must have "Him"
Jn 19:30, "it is finished"
- Heb 9:12, redemption (PAID) by his own blood
- Jude 1, preserved "in Him"
- Php 1:6, he will perform it (finisher)
- I Th 5:24, he will do it
Are you living by faith ("the just shall live by faith")?
- Gal 2:20, I live "His" life of victory!
- He died and saves; He empowers; He completes at Rapture and judgment
68) Great Shepherd (Heb. 13:20)
- Good Shepherd, Jn 10:11
- I Pet 2:25; 5:4
God is the Shepherd: Psalms 80:1, "Give ear, O Shepherd of Israel, thou that leadest Joseph like a flock; thou that dwellest between the cherubims, shine forth." (Also see Ps 23:1-3; Is 40:11)
69) Bishop I Pet 2:25 (overseer)
- same title as used for church pastor
He's the pastor (shepherd) of us all - more under Chief Shepherd and Good Shepherd
Heb 4:13, He oversees all
Are you living a secret life?
- Ps 90:8, He sees our secret sins
- Luk 6:8, He knows our thoughts
70) Chief Shepherd I Pet 5:4
Jehovah's title, Ps 80:1
Jn 10:1-5, 11-16, 26-30, Christ's discourse on the good shepherd
- sheep hear His voice?, He calls them by name
- leads His sheep; Ps 23:3; lead by Him?
- pasture, feeds them, Ps 23:1-2
- sheep flee from strangers?
- gives His life for the sheep
- sheep follow Him?
- He gives eternal life to His sheep
- they are secure in Him
I Pet 5:1-4, elders to follow the chief shepherd's example and will receive a crown for it.
- same word "Pastor" in Eph 4:11
71) Daystar II Pe 1:19 ("light bringing")
- light that shines in a dark place
- Rev 22:16, bright and morning star (Skipped this name)
II Cor 4:6, God hath shined in our hearts with His light
Eph 5:8, we were darkness, now we are light
Are you walking in the light? I Jn 1:7
72) Eternal Life I Jn 1:2; 5:20
Jn 1:4, life is in "Him"
Jn 14:6, He IS life
I Jn 5:11-12, life is in Him; have Him = have eternal life
Jn 11:25-26, he is the life, get Him and "never die"
Jn 10:28, He gives it to us
- when we believe, Jn 3:36; 6:47
- have you received HIM? and therefore eternal life?
73) Advocate I Jn 2:1 (More under "Mediator" and "High Priest")
Rom 8:34, He maketh intercession for us Eph 2:13-18,
He broke down the wall between us and God I Tim 2:5, He is the "One" mediator Heb 7:25, He ever liveth to make intercession for us
Are you going to your mediator daily?
74) First Begotten of the Dead, Rev 1:5
Act 26:23, first that should rise from the dead
- sets Christianity apart
- Jn 10:17, He had the power to raise again
Col 1:18, firstborn from the dead
Heb 2:9, He tasted death for every man
Heb 13:8, Jesus Christ, same yesterday, today, forever
- has He tasted death for you and are you living victorious life therefore?
75) Alpha and Omega Rev 1:7-8,11; 22:12-13
- means "beginning and end" of all things (He is everything)
- 1st and last letter of Greek alphabet
- Jehovah's Title, Rev 21:6
Is He everything to you?
76) Almighty Rev 1:7-8
Jehovah's Title in Gen 17:1 (1st mention)
- Hebrew "El Shaddai" (all-sufficient; nourisher; strength-giver)
- as in Job where name used 31 times; the One who purifies and sustains through trials
Ps 91:1, we're told to abide under His shadow (protection)
Rev 4:8, God praised in heaven as the "Almighty"
Greek means "omnipotent", Rev 19:6 (same Greek word)
- Jesus is omnipotent (Almighty), Mt 8:27; 28:18
- Luk 9:43, "And they were all amazed at the might power of God"
- victory over death, Jn 2:19-21
- giver of eternal life, Jn 10:27-28
- all things held together by Him, Col 1:17
- He will come back as God Almighty, Rev 19:11-16
Do you believe He can do anything?
Almighty (God's name: Gen 17:1; Rev 21:22)
77) First and Last, Rev 1:11, 17-18; 2:8; 22:13
Is 44:6, Jehovah's name
Rev 1:8, beginning and ending (Jehovah, Rev 21:5-6)
- Jn 1:1, in the beginning was the Word
Mic 5:2, Jesus is from everlasting
Jn 8:58, before Abraham was, I AM
78) Amen Rev 3:14
- means "so be it" (OT and NT definition)
- II Cor 1:20, all His promises are Amen
- swears by Himself (Heb 6:13-18)
- coming again, Jn 14:1-3
- will be with us, Mt 28:20
- Heb 13:8, He is always the same
Are you trusting His promises?
79) Faithful and True Witness (Rev. 3:14)
- all that He says (witnesses) is faithful and true
- Re 1:5, faithful witness
- Re 19:11, Faithful and True
- Re 22:6, His sayings are Faithful and True
80) Lion of the Tribe of Judah Rev 5:5 (fulfilment of Gen 49:9-10, lawgiver from Judah)
Heb 7:14, Christ was an earthly descendent of Judah (Mt 1:3)
Lion, king of animal kingdom - majesty, Pr 30:30
- bold Pr 28:1
81) Root of David, Rev 5:5; 22:16 (both root - beginning, and offspring)
- Mt 22:41-45, Son and Lord
- more under Son of David
- Lu 1:31-32, the throne of David
82) Lord of Lords, Re 17:14
- Ac 10:36, "Lord of all" (Lord used 672 times in NT)
- Re 19:11-16
- Deu 10:17, I Ti 6:15; Jehovah’s name
83) King of Kings, Re 17:14 (Ruler of all kings)
- I Ti 6:15, Jehovah’s name
- Re 19:11-16
84) Faithful and True Rev 19:11
Rev 21:5, His words are true and faithful
Jn 14:6, He is "the" truth
I Th 5:24, He calls, He's faithful to do it.
Also, Rev 3:14, faithful and true witness
- Rev 1:5, faithful witness
Jn 18:37, He came to bear witness of the truth.
Mt 24:35, His words shall not pass away, and they are true
- are you learning and living His "true" words?
85) Beginning and End (Rev. 22:13)
- "beginning and end" of all things (He is everything)
- Jehovah’s title, Re 21:6
86) Bright and Morning Star, Rev 22:16
- first light
- see "Dayspring" and "Daystar"